There are five parts to Open AIR’s strategy for mobilising research insights into practical outcomes:
- Leveraging our social capital and connections to key decision-makers. For example, through our now well-established reputation and networks, we have been able to connect with key decision-makers from international organisations, national governments, and leading scholarly and activist associations.
- Engaging stakeholders early and often in the research process to ensure relevance. We are working directly with the beneficiaries of our research in, for instance, the areas of high technology hubs, maker communities, and Indigenous communities.
- Publishing open access, bilingual scholarship and practical policy materials. We have created a new working paper series, translated key outputs from previous research into French, and are now “versioning” our materials into briefing notes, handbooks, toolkits, and scholarly articles.
- Amplifying our influence through social media and mainstream press communications. Our website has become an increasingly key vehicle for disseminating Open AIR research results, and our expanded social media presence continues to create interest in our work.
- Empowering new scholars to understand and share insights in their future endeavours. Our New and Emerging Researchers Group is thriving, with more than 90 current members and alumni, and all of our hubs have teams of research assistants training to become future leaders.